Fall brings the bounty of tomatoes, basil and much more. Older daughter, Megan, told me about a roasted tomato and pesto sauce she made. I tweaked it a bit to serve my tastes. I love the idea of adding pesto to a rich, red tomato sauce. It was delicious and definitely a new recipe for my collection.
ROASTED TOMATO AND PESTO SAUCE
1 pound Italian sausage, cooked and drained
3 cups roasted tomatoes and peppers, cooled and blended (recipe below)Tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves, diced
Cube of pesto (about 1/3 cup)
26.5 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, chopped or blended
1 cup water
1 tablespoon fresh, chopped basil
1 pound cooked pasta (I used bow tie pasta) and 1 cup of pasta water
Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Core and slice tomatoes. Halve and remove seeds from peppers.
- Arrange the tomatoes and peppers on a heavy cookie sheet (I line with parchment paper). Drizzle with Avocado oil and sprinkle with sea salt or kosher salt.
- Roast at 400 degrees until the edges of the vegetables start to char and are cooked through.
- Blend the mixture to a smooth consistency.
- Cook and drain the sausage.Drain and set aside.
- Saute onions in olive oil and when almost cooked through, add the garlic. Continue to salute until garlic is cooked through.
- Add roasted tomatoes and peppers, pesto, San Marzano tomatoes, water, basil and sausage.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Add 1 cup of pasta water to sauce. Stir. Add drained, cooked pasta, and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.