Many years ago, my friend Judy D., shared this recipe with me and it has been a family staple. Serve with homemade green chile and you have a wonderful meal for family and friends. This time I served with slices of the last tomatoes of the season. A silly discovery…sliced canned peaches made a wonderful side to this. Don’t ask me why…it just does!
This casserole also freezes beautifully. I have frozen leftovers and have also made two pans and froze one. Just heat it again and voila…dinner is served.
MEXICAN CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
2 cups yellow corn meal
2 cans cream style corn
1 cup milk
2 pounds ground beef (or turkey)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 small can green chiles (mild or hot)
- Mix together corn meal, corn, eggs and milk. Set aside.
- Brown and drain ground beef.
- In a separate bowl, mix cheese with green chiles.
- Spray 9×13″ pan with PAM. Put 1/2 of cornmeal mixture into bottom of baking pan.
- Spread all ground beef and chiles on top. Next sprinkle with cheese.
- Finish with remaining cornmeal mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Great topped with hot green chili (canned or home-made).