Here’s a blast from the past…chocolate poke cake. The recipe can be altered to any cake and pudding flavor. Get creative with your favorite flavors. I remember when Poke cakes became popular in the ’70s. Easy, kid and adult-friendly, and a walk down memory lane.
CHOCOLATE POKE CAKE
1 package (2 layer) cake mix, any flavor
2 packages (4 serving size) Jello Instant Pudding, any flavor
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
4 cups cold milk
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package baking in a 13×9″ cake pan.
- Remove from oven.
- Poke holes quickly down through cake with round handle of wooden spoon at 1″ intervals (or use plastic straw).
- Only after poking holes, combine pudding mix with sugar in a large bowl. Gradually stir in milk. Then beat at low-speed of electric mixer for not more than 1 minute (do not overbeat).
- Quickly, before pudding thickens, pour about one-half of the thin pudding evenly over the warm cake and into the holes to make the stripes.
- Allow remaining pudding to thicken slightly; then spoon over the top, swirling it to frost the cake.
- Chill at least 1 hour. Store cake in refrigerator. Cover with plastic wrap.