My vegan menu continues and I wanted to have wilted spinach but with the protein of nuts. It’s easy to forget how much spinach wilts down when cooking. I used a 6 ounce box of spinach and the wilted spinach would serve 2 people as a side dish.
WILTED SPINACH AND PINE NUTS
1 large bunch spinach, about 12 cups leaves
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
Ground black pepper
1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- Sort through spinach, discarding stems and bruised or yellow leaves. Wash spinach in plenty of cold water; if it’s sandy, wash a second time, then spin dry.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and lemon juice and sauté for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat to high and add the spinach, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few pinches of pepper. Wilt the spinach, tossing with tongs to coat the leaves with the hot oil and garlic. (The water left on the leaves after washing will help it to wilt quickly.)
- Toss in the pine nuts and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Recipe from: Whole Foods website