Colorado weather is typically wonderful but as the locals say, ‘if you don’t like the weather, wait 10 minutes’. Last week we were blessed with much-needed rain that left a chill in the air and a craving for soup. My sister-in-law, Betty, has told me about the Chicken Quinoa Soup recipe she makes regularly, compliments of Iowa Girl Eats. It sounded like the perfect soup to satisfy my craving, and indeed it did.
I’ve become a huge fan of quinoa, kale, and sweet potatoes and the combination in the soup is divine. The addition of the parmesan rind adds a wonderful salty/nutty flavor to the soup.
I served with a fresh pretzel roll and loved every bite! A new favorite for my recipe box.
Chicken Quinoa Soup
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 rib celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- salt & pepper
- 4 cups torn kale
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2″ parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- 2 large chicken breasts (about 1lb), cut in half
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2″ cubes (2 cups)
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2″ cubes (1-1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, and onion, season with salt and pepper, then saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add kale and garlic, season with more salt and pepper, then saute for 2 more minutes. Add 7 cups chicken broth, parsley flakes, dried thyme, bay leaf, and parmesan cheese rind (if using), then bring to a boil.
- Add chicken breasts to the pot then cook for 10 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center. Remove to a plate then add sweet potato, russet potato, and quinoa to boiling broth. Place a lid on top, lower heat to medium, then cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and quinoa is cooked. Meanwhile shred chicken.
- Add shredded chicken back to the soup, remove bay leaf, then add parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Taste and add more salt & pepper if necessary. Serve topped with additional parmesan cheese, if desired. Use remaining 1 cup chicken broth to add when reheating soup, as quinoa will absorb much of the broth as it cools.
Recipe from Iowa Girl Eats