Banana Bread is an old time favorite that my Mother and the women before her made for their families. I like it plain, with a little butter, but always shared with family and friends.
This time I decided to try it with the Banana Jam we drooled over in Nicaragua and I wasn’t disappointed. This combination is great for breakfast, coffee, or dessert. Just say BANANA!
2 cups sifted all purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1 teaspoon flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together 2 cups flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with bananas, mixing just until blended.
- Combine pecans and 1 tsp. flour; stir into batter. Pour into greased 9″ tube pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on rack.
Yield: 1 loaf