Fennel was a target buy at Trader Joe’s for daughter Megan and I this week. My husband, Karl, used to love to cook Fennel as was prepared for him on business trips to Italy. It’s been years since I’ve prepared it. Megan suggested we roast it and it was fantastic. I have to say that eating it raw was delicious, too.
The fennel was prepared the same evening as the Zuppa Tuscana (recipe to post next week). We decided to put some of the fennel in our soup and loved the addition. I even added cold roasted fennel to a roast pork and goat cheese sandwich…love it!
Next time I’ll try roasting the fennel with other vegetable, perhaps white and sweet potatoes and a bit of rosemary?
2 heads fresh fennel
salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse fennel. Slightly trim bottom and top of fennel bulb.
- Cut each bulb in half lengthwise. Cut out core and set aside.
- Slice fennel thinly and place on baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15-20 or until brown on edges and tender.