When I want my daughters to come home for a meal, THIS is the ticket. They both love this dish and the sides have also become tradition, serving a wild rice blend, steamed broccoli, salad and rolls.
My sister-in-law, Betty, gave me this recipe early in my marriage and it is truly fabulous. The chicken is oh, so tender, and the combination of the flavors is fabulous. In an effort to make this dish a tad healthier, I precook the bacon to remove a good part of the grease and use low-fat (or no-fat) sour cream and soup.
This recipe is a wonderful dish to serve at a dinner party. The majority of the work is done far before the guests arrive and you will have more time to enjoy the party.
CHICKEN BREASTS SUPREME
12 half chicken breasts, boned
12 strips bacon (I cook slightly to remove some of fat)
1 large jar dried beef
1 can mushroom soup
1/2 carton low-fat sour cream
sliced almonds and paprika
- Grease a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Brown bacon until bacon is about 70% cooked. Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Cover bottom of dish generously with dried beef. Wrap chicken with bacon. Place chicken in single layer over the beef.
- Cover with mixture of soup and sour cream. Sprinkle with almonds. No salt needed.
- Bake uncovered at 250 degrees for 4 hours. Cover the last hour.