Eggplant = favorite food. My friend, Jan, shared this delicious recipe with me. I love how simple it is and it’s not as rich as many Moussaka recipes. I only had cheddar cheese on hand when I made it, but it would be great with Feta or other mild cheeses.
I made this dish without rice or yogurt, but enjoyed it with a nice class of red wine from my favorite winery, InVINtions.
2 globe eggplants, peeled and cubed
1/2 pound ground beef (or omit if Vegan/Vegetarian)
1 large onion, diced
5-6 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced/diced
2-3 green or sweet peppers, sliced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3-4 petite tomatoes, diced (I used Compari tomatoes)
1/4-1/3 cup olive oil for eggplant and another 1/4 cup for sauce
salt and black pepper
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped (or 1-2 tablespoons dried parsley)
1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 430-450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 8×8″ or 9×9″ baking dish.
- Place cubed eggplant in a bowl. Add salt and 1/4-1/3 cup olive oil. Toss and mix well to assure the cubes are covered in olive oil.
- Spread the eggplant over a baking sheet, layered with parchment paper. Bake until brown, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat in a heavy pan. Add ground beef and cook thoroughly until it is dry. While cooking, crush the ground beef with the back of a spoon.
- Add onion and peppers and cook on medium heat until soft, but not browned.
- Add tomato paste and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Add crushed tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper.
- When the tomatoes are cooked (turning darker red), add one cup boiling water.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place eggplant cubes in baking dish. Top with sauce and mix. (Optional: add sliced tomatoes on top). If using dried parley, sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you want to serve without cheese, sprinkle fresh parsley on top and serve.
- If using cheese, sprinkle on top, and put back in oven until cheese in melted.
- Serve as is or serve hot with rice and Greek yogurt.