The family Salad Queen title goes to daughter, Sarah, who makes amazing salads. Recently she made this salad for a large family gathering with rave reviews. The salad shown below was made with salad greens vs. arugula. Arugula gives the salad even more punch. You can store the fruit/grain mixture and the dressing separately to make smaller salads over a few days. A great choice for cool summer salads.
Arugula Salad with Strawberries
FOR THE SALAD
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 2 cups chopped cucumbers
- 1 cup farro, cooked, then cooled (we use Trader Joe’s Harvest Blend of Pearled Couscous, Orzo, Split Baby Garbanzo Beans & Red Quinoa)
- 1/ 2 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1/ 2 cup fresh mint leaves (or basil)
- 1/ 3 cup ricotta salata, feta, or goat cheese
- 12 ounces arugula (can substitute other greens)
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1/ 3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 small shallot
- 1/ 2 orange, juiced
- 1/ 4 cup fresh mint (or basil)
- 1/ 2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. In a large bowl, combine strawberries, cucumbers, farro, pistachios, mint, and cheese.
2. Separately, add all the dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Coat all the ingredients in the bowl with the dressing, but don’t add the arugula until you are ready to serve. Once you’ve added the arugula, mix well to incorporate with all the other ingredients and dressing. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from thefeedfeed.com