Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts and this recipe is heavenly. I followed Chef Lucas during the COVID lockdown. When I saw his Facebook Live featured Tiramisu, I was in! I have found that Ladyfingers from Cost Plus World Market are best, and appropriately crunchy. The ladyfingers from my local grocery store are soft, so I crisp them up in the oven before dipping into the water/Amaretto mixture.
I’d highly recommend a food scale to get the ingredients right, but I have adapted to U.S. measurements below.
- 3 eggs
- 130g sugar (4.58 ounces or .5725 cup)
- 500g mascarpone (17.637 oz. or 2.205 cup)
- 125g whipping cream (4.40925 oz. or .55116 cup)
- 100g amaretti cookies (3.5274 oz. or .44 cup)
- 30g cocoa powder (1.058 oz. or .1323 cup)
- 1 package lady fingers
- 1/2 cup amaretto liquor
- 1/2 cup caffè (coffee) or water
- Using a tumbler, fill about 3/4 full with 50% Amaretto (or coffee) and 50% water.
- Quickly dip each ladyfinger in the glass; flip to get both sides. Place in 9×13″ glass dish. There should be about 15 ladyfingers per layer.
- Crush the Amaretto cookies. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs.
- Add sugar to the egg yolks. Mix well. Add Mascarpone to the egg mixture. Folding in gently.
- Add a dash of water to the egg whites. Beat until stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the yolk mixture.
- Add Amaretto cookies, crumbled, to the mixture.
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold whipping cream into egg mixture.
- Spread 1/2 of the cream mixture over the first layer of lady fingers.
- Put cocoa powder in a sieve and sprinkle over the cream mixture.
- Repeat the dipping of lady fingers in Amaretto and water and place 2nd layer into the pan.
- Spread remaining cream on top of the lady fingers.
- Chill the Tiramisu.
- When ready to service, sift cocoa powder over the top.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Recipe from Chef Lucas Migliorelli