Over the past year, I have tried several versions of Hungarian/Slovak/Czech Goulash. This recipe used pork and a lot of paprika and marjoram. At first I was hesitant to use that much spice but, trust me, it’s worth it. This flavorful Goulash soup is wonderful paired with a crusty bread.
- Heat oil or lard in a large pot and cook the onions until translucent.
- Add the meat and fry until it is pale brown and sealed.
- Add parsley, carrot, celeriac, paprika, marjoram tomato and simmer over low heat until the meat is half cooked. (I added garlic at this point vs. later
- Add water and simmer gently for another 30-40 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook for further 10-20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
- At the very end, add the crushed garlic and cook for another minutes.
- Turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.