Last summer I raised kale in my garden and, unfortunately, the bugs LOVED it. I decided not to plant Kale again this year but Mother Nature took a different turn. Several volunteer kale plants popped up in my garden and it was beautiful and…no bugs! Mother Nature, are you telling me I need to try Kale again next year?
Recently at our book club potluck, a friend made a delicious collard green dish and this sounded similar. It is very tasty but next time I would cut back on the crushed pepper. This could easily be vegan by skipping the bacon.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced garlic
- 10 cup loosely packed chopped kale (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup fat-free lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (too hot for me–I would reduce to 1/4 teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 10 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently.
Add kale, broth, 1 cup water, and red pepper; cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in vinegar, salt, and black pepper.