A potluck to go to and what to fix? I had beautiful fresh peaches, greens from my garden and avocados. Why not a salad mixing these ingredients topped with nuts? After reviewing several recipes, I combined a few to make this my own and it is now on my favorite summer salads list. Can’t wait for Colorado peach season later this summer!
MIXED GREEN SALAD WITH FRESH PEACHES, AVOCADO & PECANS
1/2 pound mixed greens
1 cup sliced peaches
1 avocado, diced
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup champagne or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons minced green onions
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
salt and fresh ground black pepper
- In a blender, combine the vinegar, honey, onions, mustard and garlic. Puree until smooth, 10-15 seconds.
- Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the blender until the dressing is smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to use (up to a week).
In a bowl combine the greens, peaches, and avocado. Drizzle with 1/2 of the dressing. Add more to taste. Toss the salad and serve immediately.
Adapted from: Food Network
Many years ago, my friend Judy D., shared this recipe with me and it has been a family staple. Serve with homemade green chile and you have a wonderful meal for family and friends. This time I served with slices of the last tomatoes of the season. A silly discovery…sliced canned peaches made a wonderful side to this. Don’t ask me why…it just does!
This casserole also freezes beautifully. I have frozen leftovers and have also made two pans and froze one. Just heat it again and voila…dinner is served.
MEXICAN CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
2 cups yellow corn meal
2 cans cream style corn
1 cup milk
2 pounds ground beef (or turkey)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 small can green chiles (mild or hot)
- Mix together corn meal, corn, eggs and milk. Set aside.
- Brown and drain ground beef.
- In a separate bowl, mix cheese with green chiles.
- Spray 9×13″ pan with PAM. Put 1/2 of cornmeal mixture into bottom of baking pan.
- Spread all ground beef and chiles on top. Next sprinkle with cheese.
- Finish with remaining cornmeal mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Great topped with hot green chili (canned or home-made).