Cherry desserts are one of my favorites and I had to try this Cherry Bars recipe from my late Aunt Joyce’s recipe box. While I don’t recall ever having these, they are wonderful. The combination of almond and cherry…yum!
Leafing through old, handwritten recipe cards is such a treasure…a lost tradition in today’s world.
1 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 eggs, beat after addition of each egg
3 cups flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
1 can cherry pie filling
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Grease 10×15″ pan.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and beat after each addition.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Slowly add flour mixture to batter. Then add vanilla and almond extract.
- Spread 1/2 of batter into pan. Spool filling on top and spread to cover. Drop the remaining batter by spoonfuls over the top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. Watch it to just golden brown.
- Drizzle with glaze of 1 cup powdered sugar, 4 or more tsp. milk, a few drops of almond extract. Add milk until the drizzle consistency is reached.