My rhubarb plant finally produced enough fruit to make a dessert and the crumble bars hit the mark. In my rush to make the recipe I forgot to pulse the crust in the food processor but the results were still delicious, although a bit chewier than the original recipe. Delicious topped with whipped cream or ice cream!
Rhubarb Strawberry Crumble Bars
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped strawberries
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse twice to combine. Add butter, pulse until well incorporated. Measure our 1 cup of oat misture and reserve for topping. Transfer remaining dough to prepared baking pan. Press down firmly to form an even crust.
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar and cornstarch. Spread the fruit filling over the crust.
- In a small bowl, combine the reserved oat mixture with the chopped pecans. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit filling.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly in spots around the edges. Transfer the pan to a rack and let cool completely before cutting into bars.
Recipe from United Healthcare RENEW magazine