Baked Risotto with Bacon and Kale (and many other yummy ingredients) is a comfort dish to love. My gal pal, Jan, told me about this dish and I had to try it. It also helped that I had many of the ingredients on the ready.
I rarely make Risotto because I don’t enjoy standing over the stove, constantly stirring and adding liquid to the Arborio rice. This recipe eliminates that hassle. There is some prep work chopping, roasting, grating, etc. but I did that early in the day which made the final preparation a breeze.
Add this is the list…comfort food!
RISOTTO WITH BACON AND KALE
4 slices bacon, chopped coarsely
1 large onion, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup Arborio rice
3 cups low-salt chicken broth (plus 1/2 cup+ to add later in preparation)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
3 medium curly kale leaves, stemmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
1 roasted carrot
1 roasted parsnip
1 roasted shallot
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and chop the carrot, parsnip and shallot. Place on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- In a large, heavy saucepan or braising pan, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Add the chopped onions, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes. Add 3 cups broth and the lemon juice. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cover with a tight lid and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. (Note: my dish was done at 20 minutes so watch closely.)
- Remove the pan from the oven and return it to the stove, over medium-low heat. Remove the lid and stir in the chicken, kale, roasted vegetables and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Stir until the kale is wilted, about 5 minutes, adding extra broth, as needed, until the Risotto is creamy. Stir in the cooked bacon and cheese. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Recipe slightly adapted from Giada De Laurentiis Risotto with Bacon and Kale