My Mother occasionally made this salad, often with fresh ingredients from her garden. The last time I made this recipe was 15+ years ago for a Christmas party. This week I resurrected the recipe and tried it out in several ways. Each combination was wonderful.
1) Side dish to barbecue ANYTHING
2) Pairs very well with fish and would be GREAT on fish tacos
3) On a sandwich (daughter Sarah’s fiancé, Kyle, put it on a turkey, cheese, and ham salad combo sandwich). Sounds incredibly weird, but delicious!
Besides being delicious, this salad keeps in the refrigerator for several days. In fact it just keeps getting better and better.
REFRIGERATOR CROCK SALAD
1 head green cabbage
2 green sweet bell peppers
2 red or orange sweet bell peppers
2 teaspoons celery seed
2 cups white cider vinegar
2.5 cups sugar
- Shred cabbage, peppers, carrots, onions in a large bowl. Soak in salt water for 2 hours. Drain well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the vinegar and the sugar. Pour over shredded ingredients and refrigerate. Let sit for a minimum of 3-4 hours before serving.