Pear Cake made with seasonal pears is a true treat. This recipe, from http://www.usapear.com was a great find and delicious as a morning coffee treat or as a seasonal dessert.
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 pears, peeled, cored and wedged
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a round baking pan with 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Brush the pear wedges with lemon juice and arrange in the bottom of the baking pan.
- Combine flour with baking powder, salt and cinnamon, Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat the remaining butter with sugar until fluffy. Stir in eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternating the ingredients slowly. Continue to beat on low-speed after each addition.
- Spoon batter evenly over pears in pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes OR until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (My oven required a longer baking time.)
- Cool before inverting onto serving platter. Decorate with walnuts or serve with whipped cream as coffee cake or dessert.
Recipe adapted from http://www.usapears.com; Starkrimson Pear Cinnamon Cake