Cinnamon Basil was a garden experiment that produced more than I expected. Now, what do I do with it?
I found this interesting Cinnamon Basil Pesto recipe and decided to try it in three ways:
- Simple spread on a wafer/cracker
- Served on top of a mild cheese (brie, gouda, etc.) and wafer/cracker
- Served on top of a mild cheese with wafer/cracker and drizzled with honey
This fun experiment ended with the pesto, cheese and honey winning my vote!
CINNAMON BASIL DESSERT PESTO
1/3 – 1/2 cup walnut oil
2 cups firmly packed, fresh cinnamon basil leaves
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/4 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese (1 oz.)
2 teaspoons raw sugar or packed brown sugar
- In a food processor or blender combine 1/3 cup of the oil, the basil, almonds, coconut, cheese, and sugar. Cover and process or blend until nearly smooth, stopping and scraping sides as necessary and adding enough remaining oil until of desired consistency.
- If the pesto is not to be served immediately, divide it into three portions. Place each portion in a small airtight container. Refrigerate up to 24 hours or freeze up to 3 months. Makes about 1-1/3 cups pesto.
Recipe from: http://www.recipe.com/cinnamon-basil-dessert-pesto/