Spring is just around the corner and while I really don’t care about swimsuit season, I do care about looking and feeling better and looking ‘fabulous’ for daughter Sarah’s summer wedding.
While I love to indulge in wonderful foods, I find that a healthy, Mediterranean style diet works well for me. I tried this recipe and loved it. Fresh asparagus and goat cheese with protein…a winner! Each omelette only has 180 calories, an extra bonus.
ASPARAGUS GOAT CHEESE OMELETTES
1 cup liquid egg substitute or egg whites
1/4 cup fat-free milk
2 tablespoons chopped scallions or red onions
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup water
4 tablespoons crumbled reduced fat goat cheese
- Whisk together egg substitute, eggs, and milk. Stir in the scallions, thyme, parsley, pepper and salt.
- Place the asparagus in a microwaveable bowl and add water. Cover with waxed paper and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir. Microwave 2 additional minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Pour one-quarter of the egg mixture into the skillet, allowing it to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the bottom just begins to set. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon goat cheese and one-quarter of the asparagus. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the eggs are almost set.
- Using a large spatula, fold the omelet in half. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the omelet is golden and the cheese is melted. Turn onto a plate and keep warm.
- Coat the skillet with cooking spray and repeat for 3 additional omelettes. Garnish with chives, pieces of asparagus or goat cheese.
Adapted from South Beach Diet Cookbook