Pound cake is one of the recipes I make ‘once in a blue moon’ but enjoy it as long as it is dense and moist. No dry pound cake will match up!
As you probably can see, cakes are often the base pedestal for the fruit I really want. Once again, strawberries and whipped cream top this cake. I truly didn’t realize until I started this food blog, that almost every cake I make MUST have syrup or fruit on top. Hmmm…this blog may turn into a self-realization confessional.
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 grated lemon peel
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter & peel; gradually add sugar, creaming till light, about 6 minutes at medium speed on electric mixer.
- Add vanilla, then eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift dry ingredients together; stir together with egg mixture.
- Grease bottom only of 9x5x8 inch pan; turn in batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or till done. Cool in pan. Optional: Sift confectioner’s sugar lightly on top.
- Mandatory for me: Fruit on top!