Italian Tony’s Market in the Denver area makes wonderful Pignoli. Pignoli cookies are an Italian American confection, similar to a macaroon and topped with pine nuts. This week I was in search of a recipe I could make them at home. There were many wonderful recipes but this recipe was my final choice. They were fantastic!
12 ounces almond paste
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
4 egg whites
1 1/2 cups pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil; lightly grease the foil.
- Mix almond paste and granulated sugar in food processor until smooth.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and 2 egg whites; process until smooth.
- Whisk remaining 2 egg whites in small bowl.
- Place pine nuts on shallow plate. With lightly floured hands roll dough into 1 inch balls. Coat balls in egg whites, shaking off excess, then roll in pine nuts, pressing lightly to stick to dough.
- Arrange balls on cookie sheets, and flatten slightly to form a 1 1/2 inch round.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes (watch carefully because each oven and baking pan is different) until lightly browned. Let stand on cookie sheet 1 minute. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Recipe from Allrecipes.com: Pignoli Cookies 1