Cranberry Coffee Cake is a new recipe that my sister-in-law, Donna, shared with me several weeks ago. The Mother’s Day weekend coffee/tea was a great time to try it. The cake is so moist and the extra treat of cranberry is so good. I chose to go without nuts this time but the glaze was a wonderful touch.
This coffee cake is wonderful anytime of year but could be a wonderful addition to your holiday go-to-recipes.
CRANBERRY COFFEE CAKE
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 can (16 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
5 teaspoons warm water
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Add extract.
- Spoon a third of the batter into a tube or bundt pan. Top with a third of the cranberry sauce.
- Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with walnuts (optional).
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted hear the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool and transfer to serving plate.
- Optional: Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over cake.