New recipes are such fun for me and I loved the idea of Spanakopita bites. Spanakopita is a favorite but would never have the patience to make the real deal. I had no idea that you could buy phyllo cups at the local grocery store but they make simple work of this yummy recipe.
The recipe is simple and the results are great. The bites can be served hot or at room temperature. Either way, you’ll enjoy!
30 frozen phyllo cups (2-15 count packages)
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt & pepper
10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed then squeezed dry
6 oz. crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
pinch ground nutmeg
1 egg, whisked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then place phyllo cups on 2 baking sheets and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, season with salt and pepper, then sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 more seconds then transfer mixture to a large bowl and cool slightly.
- Add spinach, feta cheese, parsley, nutmeg, and egg then stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into phyllo cups then bake for 12-15 minutes, or until cups are golden brown around the edges.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.