Oatmeal cake with broiled topping is truly a walk down memory lane. My Mother didn’t make this cake often, but when she did, it was a treat.
This time I decided to bake the cake in two 9×9″ pans and freeze one for later…or so I thought. While the cakes and topping were cooling and while I was trying to settle grandson, Evan, into his afternoon nap, the dogs decided to sample one of the cakes. I was so unhappy, I didn’t take the time to snap one of those naughty dog photos!
Luckily one cake remained and it was delicious! The cake is moist and the crunch topping is so yummy. Top with a dallop of whipped cream.
Thanks, Mom for a great recipe. And to the dogs…I’ll choose to say nothing.
1 cup quick oatmeal
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups flour plus 2 tablespoons flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9×13″ (or two 9×9″) cake pans.
- Mix together oatmeal and boiling water. Let stand 20 minutes and cool.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, white sugar, shortening, eggs, salt, cinnamon and soda. Add cooled oatmeal.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Prepare topping while the cake is baking.
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup coconut
- Bring all ingredients to a boil. Spread topping over cake while cake and topping are hot.
- Put cake and topping under broiler and let topping brown.