I am a protein breakfast person. Straight carbs just don’t last for me. If I eat cereal or toast, I’m starving in an hour. My typical breakfast is either Greek yogurt or an egg, with a strong cup of coffee. My dear friend, Jan, told me about this recipe and the fact her daughter makes these weekly and eats for breakfast throughout the week.
I modified the original recipe to fit my taste buds and loved the results. The next morning I reheated in the microwave and they were equally as good and filling. Hello breakfast for the week!
QUINOA OMELETTE BITES
1 cup quinoa, warm
1/2 cup shredded mozaarella or cheddar cheese
1 egg white & 1 whole egg
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup minced green or red bell peppers
1/4 cup minced sweet onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. Chop and microwave, on high, the onions and peppers, for 1.5 to 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the warm quinoa with the cheese to melt the cheese. Add the eggs, garlic, salt, spinach, peppers and onion. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into mini muffin tins, filling to the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from muffin tins. Run a small knife around the edges to loosen and pop out of the tins.