Baked Avocado…a new adventure for me and I loved it. The idea of using avocado as the binding ingredient for quinoa, tomato, cheese was great and included all ingredients I love. This recipe is worth experimenting with and can easily be adapted for a vegan or vegetarian diet.
BAKED STUFFED AVOCADOS
2 large ripe avocados
2 cups cooked quinoa (I used a mix of plain and Tri-Colored Quinoa from Trader Joe’s)
1 medium-sized tomato, diced
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice avocados lengthwise and remove the pit by gently tapping it with a large sturdy knife.
- Scoop the avocado from the shell with a spoon and place in a mixing bowl. Add quinoa, tomatoes, feta, salt and pepper. Mix to combine, but leaving hunks of avocado.
- Place the hollow avocado shells on a baking sheet and carefully fill each with the mixture. (I found that I had more filling that the shells would hold and baked the remainder in a small greased casserole dish).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese is sufficiently melted.
recipe slightly adapted from P&G Everday