Kitchen Memories started to flood back to me as I looked at my kitchen for the last time before the cabinets were removed. So many conversations took place in my kitchen with our girls from babyhood to teenage years to adult years. Meals were prepared for many loved ones, some of which are now gone.
When we first moved into our Smurf blue house in 1988, the kitchen had brown, patterned kitchen carpet, one of the worst ideas on the planet. The Cherry Cabinets were quite nice and the Columbine (Colorado’s State Flower) tile was fitting of the ‘country’ craze at the time.
This kitchen became the heart of our home. Weekday mornings were frantic as Karl and I prepared for work so the girls would often gather on the floor of the kitchen as I prepared breakfast and our lunches.
As I look at the kitchen for the last time, a stream of memorable movies play in my head, including:
- Homework, Science experiments, crafting
- Holiday meal preparations
- Meal preparation while the kids often sat on the counter to chat and share
- My mother, when visiting, making homemade egg noodles on my kitchen counter to freeze for later use
- Making our Christmas favorite Kringla for the holidays
- Birthday Celebrations
- Christmas parties & Mother’s Day Coffee
- Dying Easter Eggs
- Teaching the girls to bake
- Rescuing animals or playing with our own pets
- Running Circle through the house (Gamma Stout and Sarah)
- Preparing flowers for the Megan (top) and Sarah’s (second) weddings
- Evan’s 2nd birthday, the last event in the old kitchen.
So here we go…out with the old and in with the new! I’m soooo ready…
One thought on “Kitchen Memories”