When yellow squash and zucchini are plentiful and I’ve made every possible recipe, I go to the web and try to find something different to make. This bread was a phenomenal find. I’ve always been fond of lemon cake and this bread is addictive. No, you can’t have just one slice, I guarantee it!
LEMON YELLOW SUMMER SQUASH BREAD
1 cup melted butter
2 cups sugar
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tsp. lemon zest
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups grated summer squash
1 Tbsp. melted butter
½ cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 lemon, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced, seeds removed
½ tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour 2 regular loaf pans or 4 mini pans.
- Mix butter, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla until well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time and once all are incorporated beat for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Add squash and stir just to blend.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes for small loaf pans or 1 hour for regular size loaf pans.
- Allow the pan to cool; remove the bread and place top down on a serving plate (makes for a nice presentation for the glaze and lemons).
- Cook lemon slices in a medium saucepan of boiling water 2 minutes to remove bitterness. Drain and pat dry.
- Gently toss lemon slices with sugar, and 1 Tbsp. oil in a medium bowl. Spread out on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until lemons are no longer wet and only slightly colored, 15–20 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine the melted butter and powdered sugar and stir until smooth; add the lemon juice and lemon zest and stir to combine.
- Add water or milk if necessary to get the right consistency.
- Pour the glaze over the top; covering it completely and letting excess dribble down the sides.
- Arranged sweet, roasted lemons on top.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe from CreativeCulinary.com