Cabbage Pie is a new recipe, similar to a Frittata. I had cabbage that I needed to use and the other ingredients were on hand. What a simple, delicious recipe. It’s easy to imagine my ancestors making a similar dish from these simple ingredients. I did not add cheese to my pie. Next time I would experiment with different cheeses herbs, and bacon. It’s wonderful served with a fresh sliced tomato from the garden!
1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
one small onion, halved and thinly sliced
salt and pepper
salt and pepper
1/2 cup to 2/3 cup flour
Shredded cheese (optional)
- Combine sliced cabbage and onion in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat 3 eggs and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour egg mixture over cabbage and onions.
- Add flour to cabbage mixture and stir to combine.
- Add sunflower or canola oil to a non stick pan. Heat oil over medium heat. Add cabbage mixture. Cover skillet tightly with aluminum foil. Place wooden cutting board (or heavy flat pan) on top of skillet.
- Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove cutting board and foil. Flip cabbage pie onto plate and place other side down in pan. Optional: Sprinkle top with cheese and cook until cheese is melted and bottom is golden brown.
- Remove from pan. Slice into wedges and serve.
- Optional: Top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onion.
Recipe from Olesea Slavinski on youtube.com
2 thoughts on “Cabbage Pie”
Hamburger soup was great! I love cabbage so this is on my list to try, too.
Sent from my iPad
Betty.y, I’m glad you like the Cheeseburger Soup. It is yummy! The cabbage pie is delectable, now a favorite of the ours.