Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup with Tortellini is the perfect soup for a cold autumn or winter’s night.
Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup with Tortellini
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1.5 cups sliced/diced zucchini
- 1 cup fresh spinach, cut into ribbons
- 24 ounces fresh tortellini pasta
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- shredded mozzarella
- In a large pot, brown sausage. Remove sausage and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings.
- Saute onions and garlic in drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, and sausage. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from soup (if needed). Stir in zucchini, spinach and parsley. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add tortellini during the last 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com