Caramel Cookie Bars should be classified as a sin…but a very delicious one! Daughter, Megan, made these to take to friends that recently had a baby and she shared a piece with me. Oh my gosh! They are decadent and perfect for a special occasion.
Caramel Cookie Bars
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips/chopped chocolate use your favorite (I like a combination of milk and semi sweet)
- 40 Werther’s Soft Caramels (this is 2 small packages)
- 1/2 cup sweetened condesned milk
- sea salt optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Prepare a 9×9 pan by lining it with parchment paper or spraying it with non stick spray.
- Measure out the chocolate chips/chopped chocolate into a bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until smooth, light in color and fluffy. This will take a few mintues.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix in the egg add vanilla.
- Once completely combined, stop the mixer and add in the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Start mixing slowly, once the flour mixture is about half way incorporated into the dough, pour the chocolate chips/ chopped chocolate into the mixer and allow everything to mix together.
- Stop the mixer as soon as the flour is completely incorporated. Avoid over mixing. Set the cookie dough aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, stir to combine the caramels and sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Divide the dough in half and press half into the bottom of your prepared 9×9 pan.
- Pour the caramel mixture on top of the cookie dough. Spread until evenly covered.
- Take large portions of the remaining cookie dough, flatten them in your hand and then place on top of the caramel.
- Bake in your 350° oven for 25-35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the center is just set.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.
- Let the cookie bars cool COMPLETELY before cutting.
- Cut the bars into your desired size and serve.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
Recipe from CookingwithKarli.com