Our family was gathering for a late Sunday afternoon dinner and Mexican food was planned. I needed a good starter but wanted something that wasn’t high fat/high calorie. I have had 7 layer dip many times and this is a low cal twist to that recipe. I used 2 cups of refried beans and 1 cup salsa for the bottom layer and otherwise, used the recipe as below.
It was a great little dip and I like it served with vegetables (especially Jicama) along with the chips.
MEXICAN LAYERED DIP
- 1 cup refried beans, vegetarian/low-fat
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1-1/2 cups low-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled & mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- cilantro sprigs
- raw vegetables spears; red/yellow/orange bell peppers, jicama, daikon radish, carrots, celery, etc.
- tortilla chips or strips