Great friend and neighbor, Maribeth, shared this recipe with me several months ago. She had shared with me that Chicken Yum Yum was a family favorite and I was excited to try it. For some reason, I envisioned a Chinese dish but this is true Americana comfort food. I have made it with cooked chicken breasts (a little drier) or with a whole roasted chicken. The roasted (or rotissiere chicken from the store) wins, hands down.
This would be a great recipe to assemble the night before (sans the stuffing), adding the stuffing and butter immediately before baking.
I paired the Chicken Yum Yum with roasted broccoli and it was…YUM YUM!
CHICKEN YUM YUM
1 cooked chicken
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 box stove top stuffing
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine/butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Place evenly in a 9×13″ greased pan.
- Mix together sour cream and cream of chicken soup and pour over chicken.
- Sprinkle box of stuffing over soup/sour cream layer.
- Drizzle chicken broth over stuffing layer.
- Melt 1 stick margarine or butter and drizzle over the top.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
Italian Pie is a family favorite for my good buddy, Jan. She suggested I give it a whirl. I can certainly see why it’s a favorite. The crisp crust paired with the hearty meat layer and the yummy cheese layer result in a wonderful, easy meal for your family. Pair with a nice salad, French bread and you’re set!
Next time, I plan to serve it with a side of marina sauce for those that may enjoy a little extra tomato flavor with their pie. Buon appetito!
1 refrigerated pie crust
- Bake a pie crust (I used Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust). Pierce unbaked crust with fork and bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. While the pie crust is baking, brown the meat layer:
1 pound ground chuck
1 onion, chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt & pepper
- Cook ground chuck, onion, mushrooms, garlic and seasonings until cooked through. Drain.
1 cup small curd cottage cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
garlic salt & pepper
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine all cheese layer ingredients together
- Pour cooked meat layer into baked crust.
- Top with cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle top of Italian pie with 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle with dried parsley.
- Place aluminum foil around the crust edge to protect from over baking.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
Many years ago, my friend Judy D., shared this recipe with me and it has been a family staple. Serve with homemade green chile and you have a wonderful meal for family and friends. This time I served with slices of the last tomatoes of the season. A silly discovery…sliced canned peaches made a wonderful side to this. Don’t ask me why…it just does!
This casserole also freezes beautifully. I have frozen leftovers and have also made two pans and froze one. Just heat it again and voila…dinner is served.
MEXICAN CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
2 cups yellow corn meal
2 cans cream style corn
1 cup milk
2 pounds ground beef (or turkey)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 small can green chiles (mild or hot)
- Mix together corn meal, corn, eggs and milk. Set aside.
- Brown and drain ground beef.
- In a separate bowl, mix cheese with green chiles.
- Spray 9×13″ pan with PAM. Put 1/2 of cornmeal mixture into bottom of baking pan.
- Spread all ground beef and chiles on top. Next sprinkle with cheese.
- Finish with remaining cornmeal mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Great topped with hot green chili (canned or home-made).
My good friend, Jan, was telling me about her favorite Fall salad. It sounded so yummy and had all the things in it that I love. I made, I shared, I loved. This is great as a side dish but it’s so yummy, it could easily be a dessert. Thanks Jan for the great idea!
APPLE PEAR SALAD
Fresh crisp apples, chopped
Fresh ripe pears, chopped
- Chop the above into bite sized pieces and place in bowl.
- Melt butter in saucepan and add brown sugar. Stir together.
- Add pecans and stir frequently under sugar is melted.
- Pour mixture over fruit mixture. Stir & serve immediately.