Sour Pie Cherries are one of my favorite summer finds. In the late summer, the Farmer’s Market has frozen tubs of cherries and I hoard them until Christmas when I make Cherry Kolaches. I froze the extra cherry juice to make Cherry Granita. What a delightful, refreshing treat from extra juice.
3 cups sour cherry juice
1 lemon, juice of
1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Put the cherry juice in the saucepan over a medium heat, along with the sugar.
- Cook until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat. Cool.
- Pour the cherry mixture into a shallow container and freeze, stirring about once every hour, bringing ice crystals from the edge into the center.
- It will take about 5 hours to freeze completely.
- To serve: Remove from freezer 5-10 minutes before serving.