This past weekend my older daughter, Megan, and I hosted a baby shower for younger daughter, Sarah, due April 27. Megan did all of the planning and the food was to be ‘baby size’. One of the recipes that we chose was Mini Corn Dog Muffins. Served with mustard and ketchup they were a big hit for little ones and grown-ups alike. Let me warn you…they are addictive!
MINI CORN DOG MUFFINS
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal (yellow)
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
8-10 all-beef hot dogs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine butter and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add eggs and whisk to incorporate. Add buttermilk and whisk again.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, cornmeal, flour and salt. Stir to combine. Whisk into wet ingredients.
- Spray mini muffin tins with non-stick spray. Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into each mini muffin cup. Place one hot dog bite into the middle of each cup.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes (oven temperatures may vary) or until cornbread is golden brown. Cool in mini muffin tin for 5 minutes before removing and serving. I found using a small bamboo skewer was the perfect way to loosen the edges of the muffins to remove from the muffin tin.
- Serve with sides of mustard and ketchup.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator and re-heat for 20-30 seconds in the microwave before serving.
Adapted recipe from Iowagirleats.com
For Snickerdoodle mini-cupcakes, see post Friday, March 22.