My beloved Czech cookbook given to me by my Mother many years ago had this wonderful recipe. I added leftover prime rib pieces to mine and loved it. It’s easy, it’s hearty, and it’s healthy.
MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms
4 cups chicken, beef or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup barley
Optional: chopped cooked beef or chicken
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms and sauté for about 10 minutes.
- Add flour and stir; add broth, barley, and protein (optional).
- Cook for about 40 minutes or until cooked through.
Portobello Mushrooms are an adult favorite. I enjoyed button mushrooms and morels growing up but the Portobello Mushroom is my Filet Mignon of mushrooms. They are so hearty and delicious I use them as my entrée. This is just one of many ways to cook them. Experiment with your favorite ingredients!
STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
4 large portobello mushroom caps
Grated/crumbled goat cheese
Grated Parmesan Cheese
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse mushroom caps under cold water and pat dry.
- Brush mushroom caps lightly with olive oil, and place on a baking sheet cap side down. Sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Put crumbled goat cheese in mushroom cap. Top with a handful of baby spinach.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until the mushroom is cooked, cheese has melted, and the spinach is wilted.
My Czech heritage is fascinating to me. My Mother gave me The Czech Book Recipes and Traditions in 1982 and it has become a treasure. The Mushroom and Barley Soup is a favorite of mine. You can add meat, or if vegetarian, leave it out. It’s a hearty, healthy winter soup that makes me even more curious about the Smaha Czech heritage. Požívat! (enjoy)
MUSHROOM AND BARLEY SOUP
Houbová Polévka as Kroupama
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, washing, trimmed and sliced
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 tablespoon flour
3 cups chicken broth or beef broth
1/2 cup pearled medium barley
1 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken, turkey or beef
- In a 3-quart saucepan melt butter, add mushrooms, onion, celery, carrot. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring often about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour, then the broth.
- Add barley, cover and simmer until barley is cooked through, about 1 hour.
- Add cooked diced meat, salt and pepper. For a creamier soup, stir in about 1 cup milk.
Adapted from The Czech Book, Recipes and Traditions, Copyright 1981