During the Pandemic lockdown, the girls and I joined our local winery, InVINtions, for their Zoom Italian Cooking classes with Chef Lucas. We made many wonderful dishes with Chef Lucas, and Pears in Red Wine Sauce was a delicious surprise. We didn’t have great expectations for this recipe, but trust me, it was one of many fantastic dishes!
When the holidays are upon us and we are tired of dishes that are too sweet or too rich, this is the perfect answer. It is a beautiful dish to serve your guests or to enjoy all by yourself!
PEARS IN RED WINE SAUCE
1 Bottle Red Wine
8 Ounces (1 cup) of Sugar
3 Cinnamon Sticks
- In a pan, combine all the ingredients.
- Cook over low heat for about 1 hour.
- If you desire a thicker sauce, remove the pears after
cooked and mix one teaspoon of corn starch with a 1/4
cup water and mix with the wine.
- Serve hot or cold. They are delicious warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! You can store in the fridge for about a month.
Recipe from Lucas Migliorelli
Juicy, fresh pears are such a treat! For the past few years, I’ve treated myself to Harry and David pears. The grandkids beg for sliced pears like it is candy.
In addition to enjoying the pears by themselves, this Pear Salad is to die for. The combination of blue cheese and candied, or spiced, nuts it wonderful. The dressing is light and a perfect compliment to the salad. My pears are almost gone but I’ll savor every remaining bite!
ROYAL RIVIERA PEAR SALAD
1 head Butter or other lettuce, washed and dried
2 Pears, peeled, cored and sliced (or diced)
2/3 cup blue cheese (if you despise blue cheese–replace with a cheese you like)
2/3 cup candied nuts (I use my homemade spiced pecans)
1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup walnut oil (or canola)
- To create dressing, whisk together the first 5 ingredients. Gradually whisk in the walnut oil.
- Gently tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Arrange on four chilled plates.
- Place fans of pear slices on lettuce.
- Crumble blue cheese evenly on top.
- Drizzle dressing generously over the salad.
- Sprinkle with nuts and serve at once.
Recipe adapted from HarryandDavid