Spiced Pecans are a family and gift tradition started a few years ago. I do not remember where the recipe came from, but it is an all-time favorite. It makes a great gift for friends and family and a nice change from the traditional sweets of the holidays. Spiced Pecans can be made early in December and given throughout the holidays. I typically triple the recipe and make several batches. Enjoy!
2 cups pecans
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast pecans on a baking sheet for 6 minutes.
- Stir together the spice mix in a small bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine the glaze ingredients. Bring glaze to boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Stir in toasted nuts and continue to stir until all the nuts are shiny and the liquid is gone (1-2 minutes).
- Place glazed nuts in a bowl, sprinkle on the spice mix, and toss well to coat. Spread the coated nuts on a cookie sheet and return them to the oven for another 4 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
Yield: 2 cups
Guests were coming for lunch on Saturday…what to make for dessert…
The Ghiradelli White Chocolate chips were calling my name. Normally one thinks of White Chocolate with Macadamia nuts but why not pecans. I baked these yummy cookies from the Ghiradelli recipe with delicious pecans. They are slightly addictive so the remaining cookies are in the freezer for a quick dessert another time.
WHITE CHOCOLATE PECAN COOKIES
Yield: 5 dozen cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups unsifted flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups (11 oz. bag) white chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cream the butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, and beat well.
- Blend in the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in the white chips and nuts.
- Drop by teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheets (or lined with parchment). Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Adapted from Ghirardelli Macadamia White Chip Cookies recipe on the back of the Ghirardelli Classic White Chips package
Pecan Pie is a favorite but I haven’t made one in 10+ years. Recently a friend made one for a gathering and it was so wonderful, daughter Sarah and I decided to make one. This recipe is from my trusted Farm Journal’s Country Cookbook (1972) and it did not disappoint. However…note to self…
1) Use a deep pie pan to avoid the pie filling bubbling over in the oven and causing you to open all windows in the house while you are serenaded by the fire alarm and choking family.
2) Put aluminum foil in the bottom of the oven to avoid last-minute oven cleaning.
3) Put aluminum foil over the edges of the crust to avoid the crust burning. (I remembered this one)
4) Put the above issues aside when savoring the decadent wonder of a slice of slightly warm pecan pie with fresh whipped cream.
SOUTHERN PECAN PIE
Unbaked 9″ pie shell
1 cup pecan halves
1 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
- Arrange nuts in pie shell.
- Beat eggs; add and blend corn syrup, butter and vanilla.
- Combine sugar and flour. Blend with egg mixture and pour over nuts in pie shell.
- Let stand until nuts rise, so they’ll get a nice glaze during baking.
- Bake in moderate oven, 375 degrees 40-50 minute or until filling is set. Cool.
- Slice and serve with whipped cream.
My good friend, Jan, was telling me about her favorite Fall salad. It sounded so yummy and had all the things in it that I love. I made, I shared, I loved. This is great as a side dish but it’s so yummy, it could easily be a dessert. Thanks Jan for the great idea!
APPLE PEAR SALAD
Fresh crisp apples, chopped
Fresh ripe pears, chopped
- Chop the above into bite sized pieces and place in bowl.
- Melt butter in saucepan and add brown sugar. Stir together.
- Add pecans and stir frequently under sugar is melted.
- Pour mixture over fruit mixture. Stir & serve immediately.