Rice Krispie Treats are a family favorite and I love peppermint so this sounded like a fun, simple recipe to make. The results are cute, the perfect snack to leave for Santa Clause (and his helpers). It’s best to eat the treats within a couple of days as they tend to lose their ‘snap, crackle, pop’.
PEPPERMINT RICE KRISPIE TREATS SNOWBALLS
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2-14 Oz. bags White Candy Melts
6 cups Rice Krispies® cereal
⅓ cup crushed candy canes
1 10 oz. package marshmallows
¼ cup butter
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add in the marshmallows and allow them to melt completely.
- Add in the crushed candy canes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies®.
- If making balls, pull out heaping tablespoons from the pan and roll into balls. Add a candy can into the center of each ball.
- If making cut out shapes, press the Rice Krispies® mixture into a pan prepared with cooking spray.
- Allow to cool for about five to ten minutes and then cut out your favorite shapes.
- Add a candy cane into the top end of the treat.
- Place your finished treats into the fridge for about 15 minutes to cool down.
- Melt the candy melts according to package directions and add in the vegetable oil to thin the mixture.
- Dip your cooled treats into the chocolate, sprinkle or decorate, and set aside to cool and harden completely.
- Note: For a quicker version, simply substitute one 12 oz. bag of white chocolate chips for the melts and oil. Add the chips in with the marshmallows and heat until completely melted. Proceed with adding the candy canes and Rice Krispies®. You can then roll your balls and add sprinkles to the still warm treat.
Recipe from SheWearsManyHats.com