Peppermint Buttons are a relatively new family favorite, brought to us by former neighbor. Several years ago Pam shared this recipe with us during one of my Holiday Cookie Exchanges (I must have another one some year soon). It’s easy, refreshing, and soooo yummy.
1/2 cup browned butter or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup flour
1/2 cup coarsely crushed hard peppermint candies
- To browned butter, place butter in an 8 to 10 inch frying pan over medium heat until lightly browned, 5-10 minutes. Pour into a bowl and cool.
- In a bowl with a mixer, beat butter with sugar until well blended. Then beat in egg white and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Add to butter mixture. Stir then beat until well mixed. Stir in crushed peppermint candies.
- Drop dough in 1/2 tsp portions 1 inch apart onto buttered cookie sheets.
- Bake in 350F oven until tops of cookies begin to look slightly cracked and are deep golden, 8 to 10 minutes. If using more than 1 pan in oven, switch pan positions halfway through baking.
- With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool. If hot cookies start to break, slide a thin spatula under them to release, let stand on pan to firm, 2-5 minutes, then transfer to racks.
- Yield: 120 1 inch cookies