Many years ago my husband’s family had a large family reunion on the North Carolina Beach. Each family took turns cooking dinner. My brother-in-law, Ron, and his wife, Cathy treated us to a Low Country Boil. It was wonderful and something our family still loves. While we are landlocked, we can still enjoy a good Low Country Boil.
LOW COUNTRY BOIL
5 quarts water
2 pounds Kielbasa or hot smoked link sausage, cut in 1″ pieces
4 pounds small new red potatoes
6 ears fresh sweet corn, husked and cleaned
4 pounds fresh shrimp in the shell
1 red onion
Old Bay Seafood seasoning
Optional: Add fresh, cleaned mussels or crab at the same time as the shrimp.
- Bring 5 quarts water and 1/4 cup Old Bay Seasoning to a rolling boil in a large covered stockpot.
- Add potatoes and onion; bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Add sausage and corn, and return to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or
until potatoes are tender.
- Add shrimp to stockpot; cook 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain. Serve with Old Bay Seasoning and cocktail sauce.
- Serve all on large serving platters. Dig in!
Seafood Chowder is so easy and so delicious! I love recipes that are easy to prepare and contains items in your pantry and freezer. This Chowder fits the bill. My friend and former co-worker, Cyndi, shared this with me a few years ago and it’s a regular on my winter menu.
Hope you enjoy as much as I do!
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 large potato chopped small (or 10 or 12 red new potatoes)
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups chicken broth (equals 1 can plus some water)
1/2 cup cream (or evaporated milk)
1 can corn (drained)
1 can chopped clams with juice
1/2 lb. Tilapia – cut into bite size pieces (
1/2 lb. Shrimp peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- Sauté onion, celery, potato in butter for 5 min. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth, Worcestershire, and thyme and cook until potatoes are tender (about 15 min)
- Add clams with juice, fish and shrimp. Cook over med heat about 10 min
- Add can of corn and cream, season with pepper to taste, heat to serve immediately.
It serves 4 smaller serving bowls or 2 large servings as main meal.