Cold weather means it’s chili time! My mother’s traditional red chili is still a favorite of mine, but I confess I now used canned, diced or crushed tomatoes instead of whole tomatoes.
When I was a child, the only thing served with chili was saltines. Who knew there were so many ways to serve Chili (or is it Chile?).
Now I have been awakened the versatility of chili and how to serve it. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Chili served on top a baked potato with shredded cheese (add sour cream if desired)
- Chili served on top of a half of peeled and seeded avocado
- Chili with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, green onions
- Chili with cornbread
- Chili on top of hot dogs with onion
What are unique ways that you serve chili?
Today, I am sharing my Mother’s chili recipe. Add as much chili powder or crushed peppers as desired and enjoy!
MOM’S RED CHILI
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 can chili beans
1 quart tomatoes (I prefer crushed)
1 tablespoon sugar
chili powder to taste
salt & pepper
- Brown and drain hamburger. Add onions and cook until tender.
- Add rest of ingredients and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Serve naked (as is) or with chopped onions, cheese, tortilla chips, crackers or try one of the versions listed above.