My go-to quick-lunch or dinner in the summer is tuna salad. It’s simple, full of protein and wonderful paired with a fresh tomato or avocado. The tuna salad is made the way my Mother made it. The tomato and avocado serving vessel wasn’t used on the farm…just straight up on Wonder Bread!
To serve in a tomato: Wash the tomato and slice off the top stem of the tomato. Slice the tomato in the middle, but not entirely through the tomato. Slice 2 more times to where, when opened, the tomato is shaped like a sunburst.
Several years ago, I became excited when served tuna salad in a half of an avocado. I peel the ripe avocado, removing the pit, putting a scoop of tuna salad inside the avocado to serve. Double yum!
- For every can of tuna, drain, and flake the tuna in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add two boiled eggs, chopped for every can of tuna.
- Add chopped dill pickle (or dill pickle relish) to taste.
- Add 2-3 chopped green onions.
- Stir in a enough mayonnaise to bind the tuna salad together. (I’ve used plain Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise).
- Salt to taste.