Chicken Divine is a recipe I discovered in the ’90s. I wish I could recall where the recipe originated but it had the elements that my young children liked: chicken, rice, broccoli and, of course, CHEESE! I made, they liked, repeat.
To this day, it is still a favorite and the aroma of the baking chicken with rosemary is wonderful. I sincerely hope your family enjoys as much as ours does!
3 whole chicken breasts
rosemary to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1 sliced onion
1 pound fresh or frozen broccoli
3/4 cup raw rice, cooked
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup grated, sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle chicken with rosemary, salt and pepper. Bake chicken at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Cool. Skin, bone and slice.
- Prepare the rice.
- Cook broccoli in water with salt and onion. Drain.
- Layer chicken, then broccoli, then rice in buttered casserole.
- Prepare the cheese sauce: Melt butter, add flour and stir until smooth. Cook 2 minutes. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add cheeses and seasonings. (I have often made 1 1/2 recipes of the sauce to put on top to make it even more moist.)
- Pour cheese sauce over entire dish. Add more grated Parmesan on top if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until bubbly.