Our girls LOVED Broccoli Rice Casserole when they were growing up and this recipe sounded delicious using quinoa instead of the traditional rice. They were so yummy that I ate them for breakfast and as a side side for dinner. It would be great to add bits of ham or bacon for a ‘grab and go’ breakfast dish.
QUINOA BROCCOLI CHEESE BITES
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 cups water (or vegetable or chicken broth)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups broccoli florets, finely diced
1 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, finely diced
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon paprika
crushed red pepper (optional) to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, combine quinoa and water (or broth) and cook according to package directions. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled quinoa, eggs, broccoli, onion, garlic, cheese and paprika.
- Put a heaping tablespoon of quinoa mixture into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges turn golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes and then gently remove from pan to cool completely.