Too many ripe bananas prompted me to make Banana Oatmeal Cookies, but with the additional of Chocolate Chips. This is a recipe of my Mother, Betty Smaha. She was such an excellent cook and I love making her recipes, bringing me back in time to the Smaha Farm and the sweet smell of her baking cookies, breads and pies.
Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped nuts, 1/2 cup chocolate chips or 1/2 cup raisins.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease cookie sheets
- Beat egg in mixer; add softened butter and combine. Add sugar, combine. Add bananas, combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and oats
- Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture. Combine well.
- Stir in optional nuts, chocolate chips or raisins.
- Drop dollops of dough to cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Recipe from my sweet Mom, Betty Smaha.