Italian Beef Sandwiches has been on my to-do list for months. I recently made the beef but altered the recipe to remove the pepperocini spice to accomodate my grandkids. The result was delicious! This sandwich reminds me of a French Dip and more beef broth could be added, or served separately, for a dipping sauce. A side of caramelized onions would take this sandwich over the top. Everyone in the family enjoyed it and the recipe will be in my crowd-pleasing rotation.
Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- 3 lb. chuck roast, trimmed of all visable fat and cut into large chunks
- 1 envelope Good Seasons Zesty Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope Ranch Dressing
- 1 envelope Beef Au Jus seasoning
- 14.5 oz. can beef broth
- Provolone cheese slices
- 8 oz. Giardiniera (Chicago-Style Italian Sandwich Mix), drained (optional)
- Pepperoncini peppers (optional)
- Hoagie buns
- Add contents of 3 seasoning envelopes into 5.5 – 6 quart crock pot. Add beef broth and stir to combine. Place chuck roast into the bottom of a 5.5 – 6 quart crock pot, then spoon some of the seasoning over the top of the roast. OPTIONAL: If you like more spice, you can add 8 oz. pepperoncini pepper slices and a splash of juice.
- Place lid on crockpot and cook on low for 9 hours, or until meat shreds easily with a fork. Shred, then place meat back into crock pot and cook on low for 1 additional hour.
- Split bun since in half then scoop the shredded meat on top and add provolone cheese slies. Top or serve separately with additional pepperoncini peppers and Giardiniera, if desired.
Recipe slightly adapted from IowaGirlEats