Salsa Chicken in the crockpot is a simple, hearty dish and perfect to serve for a crowd. You can easily modify the recipe to match your taste, adding more vegetables, hotter chiles, etc.
I’m trying to avoid simple carbs so I served over quinoa with sliced fresh tomatoes. It would be fun to serve the chicken in a buffet with a variety of serving options (outlined below) to allow the guest to make their own finished product.
SALSA CHICKEN IN THE CROCKPOT
2 pounds chicken breasts (if large, cut in half)
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
7 oz. can diced green chiles
16 ounce jar of salsa
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
salt and pepper
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of crock pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Add corn, beans, chiles and salsa. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or 8 hours on low.
- About an hour before serving, shred the chicken in the crockpot and let simmer until ready to serve.
- Serve with fresh tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, or salsa as you like.
- Serving options: Use as filling in burritos or tacos. Serve over quinoa, baked potato, rice or noodles.
Tortilla roll-ups have been a favorite of mine since the early ’80s. It’s fun to experiment and add ingredients that appeal to your specific taste. Daughter, Megan, made these for Sarah’s baby shower earlier this spring, adding Iowa dried beef (not the canned stuff) to the delight of our guests.
A chilled tortilla roll-up would be a great summer snack or sandwich replacement.
SOUTHWESTERN ROLL UPS
5 large flour tortillas (we used spinach tortillas)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
4 ounces chopped green chiles, drained
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 ounces sour cream
1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste
dried beef, corned beef, turkey (optional)
salsa, sour cream, guacamole
- Combine green onions, green chiles, cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese and salt and pepper with an electric mixer until combined. Spread mixture thinly and evenly over tortillas to within 1/8-inch of edge.
- Place slices of dried beef, corned beef or turkey on top (optional).
- Roll up and wrap each tortilla in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum of an hour or as long as overnight.
- Immediately before serving, slice in 3/4 inch rounds and arrange on serving plate. Serve with salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream.